Alabama Forensic Science Building
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Owner: Alabama Department of Forensics
The Robert Clinton Hatch Hall Forensic Sciences Building is shared by the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences and Alabama State University (ASU). The 50,000 square foot 8 year-old facility incorporates state-of-the-art forensic sciences laboratories, computer labs, a mock courtroom, instrumentation laboratory and a criminal logistics laboratory for instruction in techniques used to examine evidential material.
SCOPE OF WORK
The owner of the facility is Alabama State University. Two tenants occupy this building: ASU students and the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences Montgomery Forensics Lab.
Relative to the operations of the forensics lab spaces, the following concerns are:
• Overall building success can only be achieved when all building systems are operating optimally
• Building envelope is allowing substantial amounts of water infiltration during rain fall
• Damage of instrumentation and test equipment is possible
• HVAC system unable to provide positive pressure environment
• Inability to maintain temperature and humidity lab requirements
• Conditioned air space is inconsistent
• High concentration of airborne fungi particles
• Forensic testing may be compromised and DNA migration may occur
SEA was hired to implement a phase commissioning process; develop contract documents for systems repair/replacement; oversee construction and optimize the systems.